Friday, May 22, 2020

Communication Innovation in the Pandemic Times



22 May 2020

So, there I was reading the Washington Post yesterday morning. As I took a deep dive into the paper, I came across an article rating various new video conferencing software products.  These tools were from Google, Zoom and Facebook.  Trying to see how the Facebook one worked, I created a room.  I contacted my wife.

We goofed around with it using the various background features and the facial constructs. Me, I was a green slug-like thing for a time.  Suddenly, my old administrative assistant popped up. According to her she saw a notice online and seeing I was involved followed it.  Together the three of us goofed around with Rooms various features.  The games were lame.  

After a short time, my sister popped up. She had gotten a notice I was active with a room.  Video quality overall was pretty good. My sister and I enjoyed a normal, “Hi and how you doing?” chat.   

Just so you know there are default settings in Rooms.  When you create one, unless you specify who is invited everyone on your list of friends is invited.  Be warned.  You may have some friends you don't was interacting with other friends for a plethora of reasons.

Having tried Rooms out with four people, I decided to try a bigger reach.  I created a room for a get together later in the day.  In that my high school buddies talk a good deal on Facebook I reached out to them.  One person got in.  A couple of folks said there were technical issues getting in. A number of people had already gone to bed. 

I should note that setting up the room on my iPhone was no problem.  Setting it up on my MacBook Air was a pain in the tail.  First, I had to download a separate standalone Messenger app.  Next, when I tried to use it, I was told that it would not work with Safari, the Apple Browser.  I was required to download Chrome for it to work.

Uggh.  The guilt over some folks not being able to get in is bugging me.  You know that for a decade I was part of a team they kept a video conferencing network up and running.  I am not a neophyte when it comes to teleconferences.  About half of my day for the last twenty years was spent holding video conference administrative hearings. But last night did not go as planned.

I am sure as the days move on this technology will improve and I/we will get Rooms to work effectively. If you see me pop up as active in a room, drop in and say hello.  You never know who might be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...