Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Permanent Damage, Permanent Hurt




18 August 2020

Last night I was doing the dishes after a wonderful meal prepared by my wife.  I was listening to the algorithmically generated playlist called Get Up.  For the most part the list was hitting on all cylinders last night.  I bopped and dipped as I put dishes in the dishwasher and I sang along as I washed knives that should never go in the dishwasher.

A John Hiatt tune came on.  The song was one that I was not familiar with.  It was a tale of romantic matters not ending well and causing Permanent Hurt. There was a great hook and I found myself singing that phrase each time it came up.  Good stuff.

As I sang along my mind drifted to the fact that the Democratic National Convention would be on shortly.  I tend to not watch political spectacles.  This year my mind was in a different place. With the horror show that the current President has foisted upon America I promised myself I would watch some of the key speeches given each night.  

In a few short hours Michelle Obama would be on and she would point out the fraud and ineptitude of the current holder of the oval office.  But at the time I was rinsing the dinner plates this had not happened yet. 

Listening to the chorus of the Hiatt tune I could not help feeling that he was describing what will happen if we re-elect Donald Trump.  Considering the ecological waste, he has laid to this country and the destruction of social norms he has singled handedly wrought his re-election will cause permeant hurt to the fabric of our country. I am not thrilled with Joe Biden, but I am terrified of four more years with Trump.  I will vote for Joe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...