Sunday, August 9, 2020

No News Sunday




The Writing Space Today


9 August 2020 Sunday

Awoke 6:30 AM.  Got up quickly and ate some raisin toast which was washed down with coffee.  Walked 2.12 miles averaging about 18 minutes a mile.  Air temperature was about 68 F.  With a predicted high of 90 F and high humidity, had to get this done.  

Got to the grocery store at 8 AM for curbside pickup pick up. Today was beverage day, milk, pop, half and half.  The visit went off without incident and we enjoyed a little country jaunt in our Outback on the way home.  

Got some laundry in the washer.  Got some dishes going in the dishwasher.  Amazon has already been here and the new items have been washed and put away.  Time to read and write.  

Haven’t been to church in a goodly long age.  Figured I had better do some reading in the sacred texts.  Found this in one translation of 1 Timothy 6, v 7-10, 17-18.

[W]e brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. If we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

And, 

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in the Divine, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.

Given the status of negotiations in Washington over the Covid 19 supplemental relief I think the second paragraph needs to be read aloud in the Senate chambers today, and every single day, until a supplemental relief package is crafted.  We have elected these people to see after our health, safety and welfare, they need to get about their tasks with speed and diligence.

After the twists and turns of all things government and all things coronavirus over the past few days I need a break.  I hereby declare today No News Sunday.  My commitment to myself is to not open the news apps at any point in this day, unless I see ICBMs above, or people with torches and pitchforks here on the ground.  

Instead, I will drink coffee throughout the morning.  I will take a long soaking shower to wash of the perspiration from my morning walk. Maybe I will pack up a picnic and head out for an early afternoon drive.  I am reading two novels; I may bury my head in one or the other.  But the key here is don’t watch the news.  Don’t let the failures of others tie my guts up into knots.  The final fallback will be to scout for real estate in Portugal at any number of online sites.  I am going to make this a good day.  I hope you make this a good day too.

I decided to close this out with a hymn.  I decided we all needed some peace today.  This though sent me searching for a recording of Peace in the Valley. There are any number of great versions of this songs from people like Elvis to Jim Reeves, from Sam Cooke to Randy Travis.  I listened to a number of the covers and I really like Jim Reeves version,  But then I listened to Sister Rosetta Tharpe and it was just wonderful. Here it is, I hope you enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...