Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Day's End at the Start of Summer



12 June 2020

My pandemic days have an order to them.  Bet yours have acquired a pattern too. As to my routines I have set out that story before, no need to revisit that story.  But of all the things I do and experience in a day the two moments I love most are the golden hours right after sunrise and right before sundown.  

I never miss the morning hour.  I am usually up about 6:15 and am preparing my breakfast.  By 7 a.m. I am walking.  Not a great number of people out at that hour so I pretty much know who I will see.  Everybody is social distancing at that hour. In recent days I have pushed that morning walk to at least two miles.  To make it interesting I have been varying my route.  I have been walking into town.  No real problem with running into many other people, only the construction workers are out then.

Sometimes, late in the day I get caught up in other things, chores, notes, whatever.   When I am working on something that is tedious it is possible to forget that these are the longest days of the year.  Today the sun came up at 5:59 a.m. and will set in three minutes at 9:18 p.m.  Darkness will not be here until ten.

Even when I am caught up in things like folding laundry, there are cues to tell me this is precious time.  I mean this is the time we get for those days in December when it is dark at 8 a.m. and dark at 5 p.m.  Sometimes the promise of the golden hour creeps into you consciousness with a light through a blind glowing golden and telling you to get outside and savor these special hours.  The smell of freshly mown lawns and the pink light fading into deep blue await if you simply go outside. 

Natural life has its patterns just as my day has its patterns. Accept them and welcome them. You only get a finite number of these hours. There are only so many sunsets in a lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...