Sunday, June 28, 2020

A Simple Act for the Common Good


28 June 2020

Clear day and the sun is just above the eastern horizon. Sunday morning is here.  I am walking westward. The sun feels just a little warm on my back. Thus, I choose to walk the streets that are the most tree lined. There’s a coolness in the air in the shadows that lingers. I will bid my welcome to the morning there. 

Funny how I had that dream again last night. It was the dream where I had forgotten to drop several courses and discovered the finals were two days off. 39 years since I was last in the university class. Still, these anxieties roll over me.

The streets are quiet as I set out this morning. Sunday morning has come, golden, quiet and still relatively cool.

Before I started my walk, I listened to the news at 8 AM. So, disheartening to hear how people can’t unbundle their political feelings from their obligations for their own health and the health of others. Health officials, not political officials, are telling you that everyone wearing a mask although a great distance toward resolving the coronavirus pandemic Why then is it such a flashpoint?  Why does it generate such resistance? What about that doing to others thing that the faithful assert is so very important? if both people in a conversation wearing a mask reduce the risk of infection by 70% what’s the issue with putting the mask on in public?

In the distance I hear the church bells ringing calling the faithful to prayer. As I walk through the leafy cathedrals of the Sunday morning, I offer my prayers for those who need healing, for those who need vision, for those needing compassion and understanding. I appeal for love and mercy.  

Oh, the photo above shows that sometimes being a determined individualist does you no good, leaving you twisted and gnarled.  It also shows that in such a state you are of no use to your community and you undermine the integrity of those around you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...