Saturday, December 26, 2020

Boxing Day

 


A Christmas Day drive gone wrong for somebody. 

I saw this happen as I walked.

 

26 December 2020

 

No hangover this morning.  Truth be told I didn’t have a Christmas toast of hard liquor despite Santa’s gift of Lagavulin whiskey. Also, I didn’t eat that gummy I have.  Guess I have gotten too old for raucous Christmastide fun. Sitting at the keyboard on a grey morning listening to Ken Yates (an artist I stumbled across yesterday while sitting outside a Chinese restaurant waiting for takeout).  Hey Chinese food on Christmas, it is our holiday night tradition. Surviving is easy, living is hard.

 

The batteries for my hearing aids are in their warmup phase.  After you peel the backing off the batteries you have to wait two minutes before inserting them, this per the audiologist at Costco.  After I finish this paragraph, I will insert the tiny little buggers in the left and right units and put them on.  I am too old not to wear them.  I am too you to accept that I have to wear them.

 

As I look out the window, I see that all of the fluffy light snow from yesterday remains just where it was as the light of Christmas Day faded. It was good and cold yesterday. Last night was a down comforter up to the nose kind of night.  Still, despite the wind and the cold of yesterday I got my walk in.  261 days in a row now.  As I followed my serpentine path through the neighborhood, I only ran into the people who were walking for obligation. It was just me and the dog owners out there.  

 

Today I feel like making resolutions.  Seems to me if I make my resolutions now, they will have more meaning than if I create them on New Year’s Eve.  To me it seems that NYE resolutions are doomed to failure.  NYE resolutions are just another fleeting tradition like ham hocks and black-eyed peas on New Years Day.  They are transient one offs.  But maybe if I make my resolutions now, they will have more weight and come the 31stI can check and see if I have even made a start at the changes I want to see.

 

But what should I resolve to do?

 

Eat better and in moderation is a resolution that never disappears.  But what else?  I know they say set goals (resolutions) that can be measured.  The omnipresent “they” also say set realistic goals, that is don’t shoot for the moon but rather for the top of that nearby small hill. I guess on the eating healthy thing I can set my goal to use with precision that weight watcher app on my phone.

 

But what else?

 

I will let you know tomorrow what I have opted for.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...