Monday, November 28, 2022

The Season of Light has Begun Both Liturgically and Physically.


(Rua Augusta Lisboa a few years ago)


Last night I walked out into a late November night. The air was crisp here on the northern border. Moving through my neighborhood I saw a fair number of houses with their Christmas lights already displayed. There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that American Thanksgiving weekend is the time when Christmas lights get strung, garland gets hung and Douglas Fir trees get axed, drilled, stood up and decorated. As I looked about observing the decorations, I noted this year seems to be a return to houses being draped in soft whites and blues. Only a few homes had multi colored twinkling blinking lights. 

 

The streets were damp as I walked because it had rained during the morning. The air was chilled but not unbearably freezing.  We’ve had a snow here already. ‘Twas a real snow and it came a solid week before Thanksgiving. That substantial white covering, well I think it put people into the mindset to accept that the season of light/lights has come.

 

After about 15 minutes I got to my destination. Three full months have passed since I’ve been inside the church to take the sacraments. Somehow, it seems fitting my return to worship comes on the first Sunday in Advent. The first candle was lit at last night’s service, the candle of hope and of promised redemption. 

 

Advent in my mind is a time of preparation and a time of returning to something akin to holiness. Advent is a perfect time to focus on the great commandments, love the divine with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. Easy to recite, hard to practice.

 

I can accept I am a poor being who has done wrong, and that also I have failed to do right. But even at my advanced age, the message of Advent to me is always the hope that my next action will be the next right action. Bring the light. Bring the song. Bring the joy. I may struggle with the concept of true faith but I do believe we can with joyful hearts make things better for our fellow humans.

 

After the service as I walked home, I found myself looking up at the sky. In the darkness the heavens seemed to roll on forever. My hope is that we matter. My hope is that our actions matter and that we can be agents for good. My belief is that we can make this world and the lives of those around us better. Welcome to the season of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...