Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Walking



17 August 2021

 

About and Around

 

Yesterday was the first day of the tourist marches.  In the course of the day, we went off to the trendy/ funky LX Factory, to the upscale Cortes Ingles, to coffee shops (here, there and everywhere-I live with caffeine junkies), up hills and down (I am sure we went down but all I remember were the uphill climbs) and to a Vodafone store sadly closed early due to the pandemic. A hat was purchased almost as much for amusement as utility. 

 

I should mention yesterday was a very warm day.  Apparently, there is a heat dome settled in over the Iberian Peninsula.  It was roughly 90 F yesterday and it will be 87 F today. Still, it did not stop our travel to the LX Factory.  

 

The LX is an old industrial site now converted to a mélange of shop, restaurants and creative spaces. The food at LX was good.  The beer was cold and tasty. It should be noted the beer was a mistake in the heat. Due a certain lack of understanding I ended up ordering what was in essence a doppelbock on a hot day.  Yes, there was a cost to this error, after the food and shopping came a nap.  If you want to read about LX, go here.  https://lxfactory.com/en/map/a nap

 

Today we take the train and head north to Vila Nova de Gaia, where the port wine caves are. The high temps there will be 79ish. Not planning to do much in Lisboa today because of the train trip.  Sorting and repacking are the main things.  ‘

 

I note when the sun went down yesterday, the wind really whipped up.  While most of the day was shorts’ weather the track pants, I threw on for the evening run to downtown were well appreciated. Oh yeah, the hat.  I had offered my youngest son a ball cap before we came.  He declined.  As soon as we got out and about yesterday my ball cap became his ball cap.  I knew I needed to buy another hat.  

 

While walking down a side street I saw the hat and tried it on. Surprisingly it fit.  Note I have a big hat size by even American standards.  Before I could put it down the shop owner was out with a mirror and a price.  I said no to his initial price and walked away.  Back and forth it went with him calling out a price to my back and me shouting a price over my shoulder.  In the end we came to terms.  My son kept muttering something about people could tell I was from New Jersey.


Oh yeah, my sons think the suit of armor looks like Grover from Sesame Street.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...