Saturday, July 18, 2020

Gunk-Moss, Mold, Algae



18 July 2020

A couple of months ago I switched insurance companies. The difference in prices between my old company and the new one was significant. The weird bit was that the new company wanted me to remove the moss and algae on my back-porch’s roof. I was told I could wait until warmer weather to take care of it.

I guess is that the wonk at the insurance company felt that the 8 day stretch of 90-degree days with no rain qualified as warmer weather.  They asked for a picture that it had been taken care of. Ugh.

About two months ago I bought rope, a harness and this blue goo that in solution was supposed to kill moss, mold and algae.  In an effort to test its efficacy I mixed up some of it in a pump vessel I had bought and sprayed the interior roof of my back porch.  Having let the solution sit for a few days I attacked the ceiling with a ladder and a scrubbing brush.  Darn if that stuff wasn’t downright amazing.  See the photo above.

The sense I got from the insurance company was that they wanted proof now.  I really did not have time to spray and wait, not unless I wanted a premium increase.  Thus, on Tuesday, I found myself on my back roof with a wire brush and a bucket of soapy water. The whole deal took about 2 ½ hours of furious roof brushing.  (It really was like tooth brushing, but on a much larger scale).  I clicked a photo of the clean roof and sent it off to the underwriter for approval.

In this time of pandemic, I am assuming that we are all really engaged in DIY projects from edging the lawn with hard plastic boundary material to baking pumpkin spiced chocolate chip muffins.  One you have organized your closet, sorted your shoes, and taken three carloads of paper to be recycled, you have to focus on stuff like this. TV binges only take you so far.

My guess is that come mid-fall our houses will be spiffy and polished. Our minds will be in need of deep, deep communal therapy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Savor Sunday

A lightly overcast late May morning easily   distracts one from   weighty thoughts. I am so   glad. Instead  of thinking about life’s brevit...